Subject: IMPORTANT: sendmail package
To: None <,>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/09/1999 18:08:02

I just moved over from using a hand-built sendmail 8.9.3 to using our
package system version. One thing I didn't consider is that the sendmail
package is using tcp wrappers. I expect this to zap other people too. If
you install the package after having used a non-tcp-wrapped version of
sendmail, your mailer will REJECT all mail that tries to pass through it,
if you don't modify your /etc/hosts.allow.

It wasn't obvious to me how to go about this, but a quick search on the
net gave me an answer.

If you start using the sendmail package, make sure you allow access to
sendmail in your /etc/hosts.allow file. Here's the relevant part of mine:

The page I found has more information:

Anyway, it's way cool having the package. I like it, despite the fact that
my system was unresponsive to mail for a couple hours.

Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore