Subject: Re: binary packages and LICENSE documentation
To: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/01/1999 16:32:04
Julian Assange <proff@iq.org> writes:

> I'd like to see COPYRIGHT/LICENSE files distributed in pkg, so one can
> assess licensing terms before contaminating the installation site with
> *any* foreign source.

Are you advocating the same thing I am?  I think the licensing terms
for most software require that the COPYRIGHT/LICENSE files be included
in any binary distribution, which is what all those binary packages on
ftp.netbsd.org are.  So, I think that one solution to this is to add
the appropriate files to pkg/PLIST, so those files are included in any
binary package made with our package tools.

But, if you're saying that we should extract the licenses and such
from the source distributions and stick them into our pkgsrc tree just
so people can peruse them -- I think that's a little extreme.
Responsible admins should "make extract" and check over the licensing
terms on their own.  There's no need to pollute our pkgsrc tree with
tons of files that are of no immediate use.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/