Subject: Re: pkgsrc config files
To: David Carrel <>
From: Kimmo Suominen <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/1999 15:59:08
[redirecting to]

You have a very valid point.  This not only affects nmh but lots of
other packages as well.  I believe the tools are being developed to
include support for `config files' so they can be checked for local
modifications and not overwritten.

Personally I very much like the IRIX approach on this topic.  It has
N (new) and O (old) files left for you to compare and to be reminded
about whenever you install/upgrade packages.

Until such support is added I recommend making a tar file of all the
configuration files you modify locally.  After any upgrade you could
then untar overwritten files.  This is what I do for now.

+ Kim