Subject: Re: did the "make reinstall" functionality get slightly broken in
To: What EES eet man? <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/02/1999 14:32:56
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, What EES eet man? wrote:

: This is a crock.  There should be an UPGRADE=true option or something
: in order to state that YOU WANT TO _*<B><I><U>\fB\fIUPGRADE\fN</B></I></U>*_
:
: [sorry for YELLING but I think that I'm not the only one who thinks that
:  "upgrade" should be an alternative to "remove/reinstall".]

Like, no baloney, dude.  :)

This is in the works.  But for now, installing one package over another
which is still registered as installed is not the correct way to upgrade a
pkg.  If you're worried about config files, pkgs *should* be using a
copy-if-not-exist scheme right now (though I know some need fixing).