Subject: Re: did the "make reinstall" functionality get slightly broken in
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/02/1999 08:05:37
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: I've noticed that ever since upgrading to the 19990119 version of the
: pkg tools (on either 1.3.3 systems, or by virtue of running a more
: recent -current system), the re-install spews a whole lot of rather
: obvious messages, even with "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes" set:

: I don't think it should be doing this (it never did before either) --
: especially since this happens with the perscribed procedure for doing
: re-installs without deleting the package.

If you're using "make reinstall FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=", you deserve any
`bogus'-messages you get.  That's a forceful hack, and I only use it when
`necessary'.

Otherwise, you most certainly should be deleting the old pkg first.