Subject: Re: use of IGNORE= for packages also incorporated into the system....
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/1999 01:06:55
[ On Tuesday, February 23, 1999 at 16:27:52 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: use of IGNORE= for packages also incorporated into the system....
>
> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> : If something's pulled into NetBSD-current then it should simply be removed
> : from the default top-level build in pkgsrc-current -- there's no need to
> : hack the pkg to try and do special-case detection of base-OS functionality.
>
> That breaks bulk builds for point releases.  i.e. if we still do a 1.3.4
> in addition to 1.4 (which looks possible), the pkg build for 1.3.4 wouldn't
> include it.

Silly me -- I was assuming that pkgsrc would be branched at the same
time as the main source tree.  (That's why I explicitly said
"pkgsrc-current".)  Perhaps I'm dreaming too much about FreeBSD again....

(Of course I do realize that NetBSD hasn't yet branched pkgsrc to
correspond to OS release branches.)

So, I guess this does boil down to one policy conflicting with another
and making it more difficult for release users to use pkgsrc to upgrade
tools that are included in the base-OS -- at least until the day when
the entire system is handled by the pkg tools (which wouldn't be bad,
but it seems we'll be at least deep into 1.4, if not 1.5 before that
day).

--
							Greg A. Woods