Subject: Re: Package building questions...
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/22/1999 01:50:31
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
>   In fact (to be blunt) the add-variables-to-mk.conf is a horrible
> mess. It is okay if one is building packages all day long, or for
> different architectures with the same options, but for isolated builds
> (which I'll just postulate are the majority), is non intuitive.

Exactly - that's why package builders are strongly encouraged to chose
sensibel defaults.

>   What _I_ would like, is a BATCH_BUILD option. Without it (the rule),
> the package build procedure is allowed to ask me questions. With it
> (the exception), it will rely on mk.conf.

Go away and grep for BATCH in bsd.pkg.mk. :>

>   If the build needs obscure information, it should display something
> along the lines of
>
> 	To successfully build foobar snozzlefuzz, we need to dedicate
> 	a user and group id for running "snozzled". Also, we need to know
> 	the height in millimeters of your monitor.
>
> 	Please press RETURN if you have all the information and
> 	want to continue the build...
>
>   Well, I'm just living in a dream world, please wake me up.

*LARTing hard with a printed copy of bsd.pkg.mk*.  Please go and read it
before causing more confusion. :)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>