Subject: Re: Package building questions...
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@westley.demon.co.uk>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/22/1999 01:59:47
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Alistair G. Crooks wrote:
> Actually, there's code in addnerd to ignore the nobody id when calculating the
> next available id (see the isnerd() function). Hubert says it
> doesn't work for him, and now you're saying the same thing, but it works fine
> for me. I guess I'll have to look at this sometime, as soon as my copious
> spare time permits.

Um, can we take another approach here: don't find the hightest uid on the
system, but take the lowest one above a certain lower limit, so we end up
with all UIDs as small as possible but above (say) 1000? The coding for
this shouldn't be too difficult. (uid=lower_limit; while(getpwuid(uid))
uid++;)

This would avoid any workarounds for unusable high numbers altogether, and
the lower limit could be set/changed in the addnerd.defaults file.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>