Subject: Package building questions...
To: None <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/20/1999 19:13:36
Hi, all.

I've decided to learn how to contribute packages. One thing I'd like to
build is a particular mud server and library set. For security reasons,
this is typically run by user "mud".

Our web page says:

 * pkg/REQ:
   Require-script that is invoked before installation and de-installation
   to ensure things like certain accounts being available, user/sysadmin
   agreeing with usage policy, etc.

I don't seem to see this file anywhere in my pkgsrc tree, and it doesn't
appear to be further defined in the document. I assume that the right thing
to do is have the REQ script print a message about what it needs, and then
return non-zero, but if there's a more well-defined approach, I'll use it.

My questions:

1) Am I correct in assuming that the proper thing to do is to have a package
require the existance of a particular account, and refuse to build without
it, rather than blindly creating the account?

2) Should this check be done in .../pkg/REQ? If not, what's the appropriate

3) And is there an accepted way to allow a user to change such an account
name, if they wish? I would assume that setting the desired default in the
Makefile would work... Is it safe to assume that variables defined in the
Makefile exist for, e.g., .../pkg/REQ? I can find this out from the source,
but I'd be just as happy with commentary.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I've grown accustomed to a feature in fvwm2 2.1.7... Is there any
opposition to having our package source use this version? If not, I'll do
up a package, once I've gotten the basics down. That version, anyway,
compiles out of the box under NetBSD, I think. (I don't remember having
to do anything at all funky to make it work.)

Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore