Subject: Re: removing CONFLICTS abusing
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/17/1999 12:52:47
Hello, just a little addition...

> Then I did miss something. Where do we check for old versions installed
> to ensure that the new one is not just installed over it?

I just had a look at `man pkg_add`:

[...]
TECHNICAL DETAILS
     pkg_add extracts each package's "packing list" into a special staging di-
     rectory in /tmp (or $PKG_TMPDIR if set) and then runs through the follow-
     ing sequence to fully extract the contents of the package:

     1.   A check is made to determine if the package is already recorded as
          installed.  If it is, installation is terminated.

     2.   A check is made to determine if the package conflicts (from @pkgcfl
          directives, see pkg_create(1))  with an already recorded as in-
          stalled package. If it is, installation is terminated.
[...]

So if our pkg_add has additional stuff or mechanisms to look for older
package versions, the behaviour should be documented here. Of course
I am not sure yet that we really have those :)

Greets
--
   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: s_frueau@ira.uka.de oder ukfy@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de     \X/