Subject: Re: removing CONFLICTS abusing
To: Thorsten Frueauf <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/17/1999 12:52:13
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:
> > Subsequently this was also set in may packages to include "old" versions
> > of that package.
> Whats the problem with that? An sold version indeed conflicts with a new
> if not removed before installing.

That's true and it's not really a problem now, but a conflict with a
different package is something slightly different that a conflict with
another pkg version - for the further, you can't (possibly) do much, for
the latter, you can think about upgrading.

> > Since we now check for these old/other versions installed in a different
> > place for path installation via bilding and pkg installation, I want to
> > remove all these CONFLICTS fields which rely on old versions.
> Then I did miss something. Where do we check for old versions installed
> to ensure that the new one is not just installed over it?

 - pkg_add

> If its the case that if I have foo-1.0 installed, and I get still a
> warning that I need to remove it first before installing foo-1.2
> and the pkg_add/`make install` aborts - then its ok with me. But so
> for I thought this was only true if I try to install the same
> version again.

Hum... I announced this last week on tech-pkg, and have now added the code
to (it was there in pkg_add for a long time).

 - Hubert

Hubert Feyrer <>