Subject: Re: splitting pkgsrc.tar?
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/1999 08:07:51
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > pkgsrc/mk/*
: > pkgsrc/pkgtools/*
: >
: > This way you would conceivably be able to update one pkg at a time if so
: > desired.
: I'd prefer to not see this happen, as it makes it easier for people to
: only partly update their pkgsrc, and exp. if they only contain the
: packages and not mk and/or pkgtools, they will miss the whole point why we
: included exactly these two in pkgsrc, and didn't leave them in the main
: distribution.

Well, the problem is that pkgsrc is getting big.  And people are going to
want to be able to do one-offs without having to have a chunk of disk
reserved at all times for an extracted pkgsrc.

>From my current calculation, pkgsrc does take up 20MB of space -- not `a
lot', but that is a chunk that you have to keep reserved if you say that
pkgsrc `must' be updated as a unit.  Top that off with the 2MB tarball that
you need to start it out, downloaded over a slow link, and you end up with
some annoyed users.  This isn't the first time it has been brought up,

(Not to mention that because pkgsrc is riddled with inodes, a fsck of that
partition takes a little longer than I'd like, which is why I selectively
`cvs update' the bits that I need on my production box.)

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.