Subject: Re: md5 file checksum checking
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/14/1999 05:10:01
On 13 Jan 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Cool! Now if we can only find a way to note in the database what files
> are "expected" to change checksum...

We'll get this in the not-so-far future, too...

It's two kinds of files where this may strike:
1) config files
2) other volatile data like highscore files, ...

Marking them in the PLIST (@conf, @volatile?) would enable us to handle
them properly - whatever that would be, depending on the requested action:

delete:
	@conf: remove if not modified, backup else
	@volatile: dunno, probably the same
check:
	@conf: ignore if modified
	@volatile: probably ignore, too

I've just arbitrarily made up the name "@volatile" - better suggestions
are welcome :-)

If we teach pkg_info to show the config files of a certain pkg, we can
quite simply find out the config file for any given binary:  pkg_info -CF
/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2

Another thought of me: @conf will probably not have one argument, but two:
@conf etc/foorc share/foo/foorc.example
and care for the copying etc. That way we can do some evil things
depending on several suffixes of the "example" file, like invoking patch,
sed, ... I'm thinking of patching the httpd.conf for additional modules,
and backing out with "patch -R".

Comments? ;)

 - Hubert

--