Subject: Re: Package paths: consensus?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/1999 19:23:21
[ On Mon, January 11, 1999 at 10:45:49 (+1100), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package paths: consensus?
> So you're arguing that ssh should look in ${PREFIX}/etc for it's config
> files?

> _I_ still prefer looking for config files in /etc, but I can certainly
> live with the ${PREFIX}/etc -> /etc thing.  However, I'd be pretty hard
> pressed to believe that ssh (for example, and there's no others I can
> think of) would look in a possibly shared directory for *sensitive* host
> information.

The whole point is that *if* $PREFIX/etc is shared then there's a 99%
chance that it *must* be a symlink to a local filesystem.  (The actual
location is irrelevant, but /etc/pkg and /etc seem to be the most
logical choices.)

(I can think of one instance where even SSH's private host key might be
shared:  between a tightly coupled cluster of machines providing shell

(*I* think the private host key should be stored somewhere under
$PREFIX/var, aka /var, but that's a separate issue... ;-)

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>