Subject: Re: netscape (binary package)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 19:32:10
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> : 	Is the package worth adding to pkgsrc?
>
> Definitely.  The sparc (SunOS 4.1.x) pkg should set IGNORE= if it cannot
> find `/emul/sunos/usr/lib/ld.so'.

	Hmm - I'm trying to use '.if !exists(/emul/sunos/usr/lib/ld.so)'
	but it choking. According to the manpage that _should_ work.
	Am I missing something here, or have I found a make bug? :)
	(testing under 1.3.3/i386, as my sparc is down right now)

> : 	Should it use PREFIX or X11BASE (it does not require X11R6
> : 	installed to run, albeit with a remote display)?
>
> $PREFIX.  It is statically linked with (SunOS) X11 libraries, and has zero
> dependence on NetBSD's X11.

	Thats what I hoped - thanks :)

> : 	Would seperate packages for complete vs standalone be useful?
>
> Yes.  An alternative would be to make a mk.conf flag choose the appropriate
> one.
>
> HOWEVER:
>
> You probably will need to make the pkg install a `wraper script' for
> netscape that helps it find some support files installed with Netscape.  For
> example:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> MOZILLA_HOME=@@PREFIX@@/lib/netscape; export MOZILLA_HOME
> XNLSPATH=$MOZILLA_HOME/nls; export XNLSPATH
> XKEYSYMDB=$MOZILLA_HOME/XKeysymDB; export XKEYSYMDB
> exec $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape ${1+$@}

	I was going with:
#!/bin/sh
MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/pkg/lib/netscape
export MOZILLA_HOME
exec $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape $@

	Under 4.5 it no longer needs nls and XKeysymDB :)

		David/absolute

         -=- They took away my irony, but they left my deceit  -=-