Subject: Re: How does a ELF system find libs at runtime?
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/1999 14:30:44

> cc -Wl,-R/path/to/libraries -o file ...
> This is known as `rpath'.

Ok, I guess we need to always provide that to pkgs then. We seem to
set that as LDFLAGS in, but this seems not always go its
way to the build env...

> Then there's something wrong with the X11R6 imake configuration.  It should
> certainly know to use rpath (whether -R or -rpath, both are the same).  This
> works for Alpha; it seemingly needs fixing for mips.  Is your X11R6 up to
> date from the 1.3.3 distribution, as well?

I have the X11R6 sets that are shipped with 1.3.3, yes. But I think the
xlockmore package does not use imake, it uses GNU configure... so it
somehow never sees or ignores our LDFLAGS. I bet other packages suffer
from this too.

> This is reinventing, which we are trying to avoid.  The intent is
> to make X11 and pkgsrc completely nondependent on such crutches.  ;)

I know that... but still this would help as fallback to make live
easier. At least /usr/local seems to be in there...

   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: oder     \X/