Subject: Re: How does a ELF system find libs at runtime?
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/1999 08:02:01
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:

: How does the system determine where to look for libs at runtime?

cc -Wl,-R/path/to/libraries -o file ...

This is known as `rpath'.

: I did build/install pkgsrc/x11/xlockmore, but if I start it, it
: complains about not finding - but of course its
: in /usr/X11R6/lib - same goes with the Mesa libs. They are
: installed in /usr/X11R6/lib with the appropriate links
: (e.g. linked to and

Then there's something wrong with the X11R6 imake configuration.  It should
certainly know to use rpath (whether -R or -rpath, both are the same).  This
works for Alpha; it seemingly needs fixing for mips.  Is your X11R6 up to
date from the 1.3.3 distribution, as well?

: If so, I would propose to add /usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/pkg/lib there
: too, since /urs/local/lib is already there...

This is reinventing, which we are trying to avoid.  The intent is
to make X11 and pkgsrc completely nondependent on such crutches.  ;)

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.