Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v3
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/28/1998 09:55:24
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> If the update later needs to
> be backed out, the admin can run "uninstall_files" .ch1234 to back out
> the changes (as far as that is possible).

Well, if we're going to have a program do the uninstall (an idea
I quite like, BTW), the issue of suffixes can go away. Instead,
the program just secrets the file away somewhere (/usr/pkgdb/uninstall?)
along with its mode, date, what package replaced it, etc., and the
uninstalling program can give the option of rolling back to the
uninstalled version of any particular date.

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: