Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: [This is my bacque pas, this is my faux pas] <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/17/1998 16:14:11
Greg A. Woods sez:
/*
 * [ On Thu, December 17, 1998 at 08:17:11 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
 * >
 * > : I.e. if pkg is to follow hier(7) to the letter then it must be a
 * > : *complete* mirror and include $PREFIX/usr/sbin as well as $PREFIX/sbin.
 * >
 * > No, it mustn't.  /usr/pkg is structured to follow the model of /usr/local.
 *
 * /usr/local is "broken" in the same way though....

Actually, Greg, if you want to be technical, / (root) is the "broken" one.
It is possessive of /var, /dev, /etc.

Or is /usr the "broken" one?  It doesn't have a /usr in it.

I think what I'm getting at here is that the system hierarchy is probably
the exception to the rule (and anything that is pretending to be a root
filesystem falls into the category of "system hierarchy").  And, for
good or not at all :-), the system hierarchy is what hier(7) is
describing.  I don't think every other hierarchy should be following
this model; who, after all, has /usr/local/usr, /usr/local/dev?

Should we update the hier(7) man page to note nodes which are
typically only present in the system itself, or illustrate
that other hierarchies follow what lies below /usr?

If we start distributing the OS as pkgs :-) [happy, not kidding], those
pkgs could easily start referencing ${PREFIX}/usr/... as well as
${PREFIX}/...  I would not recommend that this be general practice for
non-system pkgs.

I think I'll go off and see what would be entailed in distributing
the system as binary packages.

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Assignment:  Think about and expound upon the possibilities of these two
questions.  What would the world be like today if