Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/1998 14:18:23
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> : > If they do, then it should be created by a program, not by a human, and the
> : > starter files should go in libdata.  (Binary scorefiles in particular are
> : > typically host-byte-order dependent.)
> :
> : Indeed, they should. But do all programs do this nicely, or not?
> : I'd rather leave the option open so that we can have somewhat
> : ill-behaved programs in our package tree. What compelling advantage
> : is there to not acommadating these programs?
> What programs?  Ones that don't need starter files are moot; ones that do
> simply need to have pkg_add create the /var files for them.  I must've
> missed something here.

I'm thinking of a program where the /var files are generated as
part of a `make install.' For example, if msgs were a package, it
needs to start with a /var/msgs/bounds file that contains the line
`1 0' in it. If we can't copy that over on the NFS client machines,
we have to create it. If you think it's better to use an alternate
form of @exec to create it, I suppose I can live with that.)

(We need to forms of @exec, one for stuff to be run once on the
server, and one for stuff that needs to be run on every client.)

> : > Uniquely named SINGLE config files.
> :
> : I thnk you missed my example here. Say we have a program that uses
> : two config files in /etc (conf1 and conf2), and provides three
> : examples of each beyond the default ones (conf1.example1,
> : conf1.example2, etc.). How do you set this up under share?
> A directory, of course.  That's not a _single_ file.  :)

Right. So you could have

I'd prefer the latter, since it makes it quite clear which are the
default config files, and which are the examples for other
configurations. It's more or less self-documenting. However, I
guess so long as pkg_add has an option to find the appropriate
files in /usr/pkg/share/examples/someprog and copy them to etc, I
can live with that too.

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: