Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/1998 16:38:59
[ On Wed, December 16, 1998 at 12:52:51 (-0800), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package Paths Proposal v2
>
> From what you've stated, it appears that having everything but /etc
> and /var separate would do what you need, and thus Todd's modifications
> to my proposal would also be ok. Or do you also really want to
> split of configuration and spool files?

I really would like to have separate places for configuration files.

I worry less about spool and log files because generally they clash less
when several versions of the same tool are installed.

Remember I really only want a maximum of three similar things at a time,
and only one of them need be installed with the pkgtools (the first
variant might be the original system copy and a third variant can be
manually installed somewhere non-conflicting such as /usr/local).

Of course if the pkgtools stuff could be made flexible enough to install
in multiple prefixes simultaneously, and still keep everything straight,
it would be even more cool (but obviously more complex and more work).

> Basically, with my proposal you could get the equivalant of Todd's
> by doing the following:
>
>     /pkg -> (wherever you want)
>     /pkg/etc -> /etc
>     /pkg/var -> /var

Yup, that's why I like your proposal best -- it covers more bases much
better (i.e. it seems more flexible and less restricting).

> > I think it's a given that if you want to find out what files belong to
> > which packages you must use the pkg_* tools.
>
> For all files, yes. For config files, it would be Very Handy if it
> were set up so that you could just go copy the files from share to
> set up your particular workstation. This is a restriction we can
> always remove later, if we see good reason to; it will be a lot
> more difficult to add later.

Agreed.

--
							Greg A. Woods