Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/16/1998 11:50:05
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> In this case I could also rdist /var/db/pkg. But as I only have to look at the
> server to know which packages are on my machines ...

You can. Some users of the workstations may not be able to. It's
very convenient to be able to type `pkg_info | grep Xaw' to see if
that widget set is installed, and get the version number of it. Or
just `pkg_info' on an unfamiliar machine to see what's there.

I don't see any disadvantage to moving these data from /var into
/pkg or /usr/pkg or whatever we end up calling it.

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: