Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: What EES eet man? <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/1998 17:45:54
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, What EES eet man? wrote:

> Me, personally, _I'd_ want /var/db/pkg updated because I'd want to know
> which things got installed on which machine.  Your kilometrage varies.

But if machines X and Y are sharing /usr/pkg/bin, and program Z is
in /usr/pkg/bin (with its library in /usr/pkg/lib, and its example
files in /usr/pkg/share/examples, etc.), it is effectively installed
on both machines X and Y. That's why I proposed moving the package
database information to where the binaries and whatnot go.

There may be some packages which will not run if some special files
in /var are not set up properly, but this is not true of the majority
of them.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.