Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc (and /var too).
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/1998 00:37:19
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Simon Burge wrote:

: 	Todd Vierling      ${PREFIX}/var
:
: Please forgive me if I've miscounted someone's "vote".

I didn't really say this is where volatile files "should" be.  There are
files that have use to be shareable (game score files, for example), but
just like /usr/pkg/etc, this is often a site decision that needs to be well
planned and defined, not randomly chosen on a per-pkg basis.

In a different commuications medium, Curt had proposed a more `slick' (IMHO)
solution to the config-file issue, here cleaned up and refined by me:

- Configure the programs to read their config files from /etc, or a subdir
  thereof.

- Install the default config files into ${PREFIX}/etc, and copy from the
  *.{default,example} filename to the `real' filename.

- Symlink /etc/foo.conf to /usr/pkg/etc/foo.conf.

- Users who wish to share the config file need only edit it in /usr/pkg/etc.

- Users who want host-specific customization remove the symlink and replace
  it with a `real' config file.

- Neither the symlink/file in /etc nor the file (without the
  *.{default,example} name) in /usr/pkg/etc are deleted at pkg_delete.