Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Curt Sampson , Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: proprietor - Foo Bar And Grill <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/1998 15:24:11
Curt Sampson sez:
/*
 * On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Christoph Badura wrote:
 *
 * > I counted two votes in favor of /usr/pkg/var and two in favor of plain old
 * > /var.  But maybe I missed a message.
 *
 * I'm very much in favour of /var.

Have we (please excuse the royal "we") considered a central point for
configuration files, i.e. ${dir}/conf/${program}/* for each
program?  It would certainly centralize a lot of things.

I'd like to be able to move the following:

	/etc/ppp/ -> $dir/conf/ppp/
	/etc/sendmail.cf -> $dir/conf/sendmail/conf
	/usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/ -> $dir/conf/xdm/
	/etc/{daily,weekly,monthly,security,dm,\
		newsyslog,syslog,}.conf -> $dir/conf/hostadm

And relocate the following to $dir/conf/$prog/config
(with the .conf stripped, /etc/ implied):

	ld.so.conf
	inetd.conf
	lkm.conf
	man.conf
	mk.conf
	mrouted.conf
	named.conf
	resolv.conf -> $dir/conf/named/resolv
	rbootd.conf

Leaving in /etc

	ccd.conf
	inetd.conf
	rc.conf

 *
 * I agree. In fact, as we move toward making our install sets into
 * things like packages, de-installing BIND 8 and installing a newer
 * (or older) version is going to do pkg-like things but with
 * /usr/sbin/named instead of /usr/pkg/sbin/named. Given the blurring
 * of lines between `NetBSD' stuff and `package' stuff, I think we
 * might as well at least try to preserve the meaning of the split
 * between /etc, /usr and /var.

Anything that comes as a package as part of the "base" set (assuming
we are indeed going this route -- would be kind of nice, actually!),
have the base specifically rooted at / (or /mnt in the case of a new
install?); everything else goes to /pkg or, more appropriately, /usr/local.
[The pkg database keeps track of what's where; why not put it in /usr/local?
 We've got /, /usr/local and /usr/X11(R6) -- that's three hierarchies,
 not counting src.  Isn't that enough?]

 * Another option that occurs to me would be to put everything
 * package-related under /pkg, and then have that symlinked to an
 * appropriate place. Those who want package stuff strictly separated
 * could link /pkg -> /usr/pkg, and those who want it integrated could
 * symlink /pkg -> /. Any thoughts on the desirability and implications
 * of this?

See above regarding the "base" set.

Say, am I blowing too much smoke here, or am I making sense?

 *
 * De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.

That's "(A matter) of taste, for good or for bad", yes?
[I've asked this before, it's different from "de gustibus non disputatum",
which I think is saying something similar.]

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
USL, Microsoft, IBM:  The knights who say "NIH"!