Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/1998 22:49:47
simonb@telstra.com.au (Simon Burge) writes:

>This is sort of similar to the discussion on score files we had a
>week or two ago.  I think the consensus then was that /usr/pkg/var
>could be a symlink to /var for the people who wanted to share /usr/pkg
>around.

I counted two votes in favor of /usr/pkg/var and two in favor of plain old
/var.  But maybe I missed a message.

>This would also work for /usr/pkg/etc, and keeps all the
>package stuff together on sites that don't share /usr/pkg.

I don't really care much for the "pkg stuff being kept together".
That's why we have PLIST and the /var/db/pkg database.  (I.e. so that you
don't to rely on stuff being "physically close" in order to determine what
belongs to what.)

--
Christoph Badura
Verlag O'Reilly