Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/1998 10:13:39
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

: The whole concept of /usr/pkg/etc makes sense to me only for things
: that don't change between systems, such as files to be called from
: rc.local. We don't put ssh configuration files in /usr/pkg/etc;

[because it was a special hack specific to the ssh pkg,]

: it seems to me we shouldn't put other programs' configuration files
: there either.

That's a lot of programs.  No, let me correct: that's a *LOT* of programs. I
loathed the move of ssh's config files to /etc, not because it broke "put
all pkg files in one place," but it assumed that ssh was one of the "few"
programs that would need it.  What about ssleay.cnf (which I specifically
moved to /usr/pkg/etc to keep it with the rest of the config files)?  What
about /usr/pkg/etc/procmailrc?

If someone wants to share /usr/pkg, he should be perfectly capable of
symlinking /usr/pkg/etc (or even /usr/pkg/etc/httpd) elsewhere.  That's a
big reason for trying to put all of the config stuff in /usr/pkg/etc instead
of other /usr/pkg subdirs, or elsewhere on the system!  I daresay there's
*very* little in /usr/pkg/etc that can be shared across a site.

: I'd be happy to make this change, if it's ok with everyone.

Please, no.  Try symlinking /usr/pkg/etc or /usr/pkg/etc/httpd or use "httpd
-f".  (After all, the /usr/pkg/etc/httpd/httpd.conf is just the compiled-in
default.)