Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc vs. /etc
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/10/1998 13:39:31
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:22:56 -0800 (PST)  Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
> > - Configuration files are now in /usr/pkg/etc/httpd
> >   (was /usr/pkg/http/conf) - SSL subdirectories are also here
>
> Why are these in /usr/pkg/etc/httpd, rather than /etc/httpd? Do we
> expect machines sharing /usr to be sharing httpd config files and
> keys?
>
> The whole concept of /usr/pkg/etc makes sense to me only for things
> that don't change between systems, such as files to be called from
> rc.local. We don't put ssh configuration files in /usr/pkg/etc; it
> seems to me we shouldn't put other programs' configuration files
> there either.

This is sort of similar to the discussion on score files we had a
week or two ago.  I think the consensus then was that /usr/pkg/var
could be a symlink to /var for the people who wanted to share /usr/pkg
around.  This would also work for /usr/pkg/etc, and keeps all the
package stuff together on sites that don't share /usr/pkg.

Most other stuff (start-up scripts excepted, can't think of anything
else off the top of my head) that doesn't change between systems should
probably be below /usr/pkg/share, not /usr/pkg/etc (IMHO).

Sound reasonable?

Simon.