Subject: Re: ELF shared objects for Perl 5
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/1998 23:12:24
On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: Both the old ld.so and the 1.3.2 ld.elf_so have bugs handling multiple
: symbols (e.g., calling cerror() from within libposix).. Thats fixed in
: -current (and in the pre-1.3.3 snapshot), but I built an update kit
: with a `fixed' ld.elf_so for pmax users who didnt want to run
: -current.  Anyone who wants this functionality on 1.3.2/pmax or older
: should just install the ld.so upgrade kit.

OK.  The way it stands now, the perl5 pkg will attempt to use ELF dlopen()
semantics if /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so exists, and will use the "old style"
modules (ld(1) a temporary interpreter, and statically link everything) if
not.

If this looks OK to the mips folks, I'll forward a patch back to the Perl
team for integration into the Perl mainline source.

: (perhaps a similar kit for Alpha is a good idea, if the same bugs
: bit there?)

I don't see them, but of course, I'm on -current.  :<