Subject: Re: ELF shared objects for Perl 5
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/1998 20:05:32
>Yesterday I added changes to the lang/perl5 pkg that enabled full shared
>object support on ELF systems [...]

wow, thanks!

>If someone (Jonathan?  :) can verify that the old ld.so had proper rpath and
>export-dynamic (ld's -E) support, I can add a little hack to use ELF
>semantics on `pmax' that has `ld.so' instead of `ld.elf_so'.  If that's not
>worth the effort, let me know.

I dont think its worth it.

Both the old ld.so and the 1.3.2 ld.elf_so have bugs handling multiple
symbols (e.g., calling cerror() from within libposix).. Thats fixed in
-current (and in the pre-1.3.3 snapshot), but I built an update kit
with a `fixed' ld.elf_so for pmax users who didnt want to run
-current.  Anyone who wants this functionality on 1.3.2/pmax or older
should just install the ld.so upgrade kit.

(perhaps a similar kit for Alpha is a good idea, if the same bugs
bit there?)