Subject: ELF shared objects for Perl 5
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/1998 11:42:37
Yesterday I added changes to the lang/perl5 pkg that enabled full shared
object support on ELF systems, particularly alpha (and any other system in
the future that gains /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so).  Additionally, libperl is now
a shared object itself, which means it is now much more feasible to make an
Apache mod_perl pkg and an ePerl pkg on all PIC-capable platforms.

I've tested it on alpha, but I do need someone on a reasonably fast mips
machine to test the changes.  I feel that the `old' mips (shipped with
NetBSD 1.3[.0] and 1.3.1) may not work properly, but the GNU based ld in all
1.3.x releases *should* accept the -E and -R options without complaint.

If someone (Jonathan?  :) can verify that the old had proper rpath and
export-dynamic (ld's -E) support, I can add a little hack to use ELF
semantics on `pmax' that has `' instead of `ld.elf_so'.  If that's not
worth the effort, let me know.

To all, please let me know if you encounter problems with the shared object

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.