Subject: Re: Fw: Screen package bug (fwd)
To: Kevin <kevinw@quik.com>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/01/1998 09:06:34

> > > Right.  It erases the previous character.

I am not sure that I understand the problem.  Surely you *want* the
previous character to be erased when you press the backspace key?

But perhaps your problem is similar to the one I had, in which case I
can help.

My problem was that DEL (^?) from my keyboard (actually from the OS's
console driver) was getting mapped to BS (^H) by "screen", so I had no
way of sending DEL (^?) to applications behind "screen".

It turned out that screen's built-in configuration includes

        keymap -d -k kb ^H

which means "when you see the string described by the termcap 'kb'
capability, map it to ^H". ('kb' is what the terminal sends when the
user presses the backspace key, and ^H is what screen thinks it should
send to emulate a vt100's backspace key.)  My console was pcvt on the
i386 platform, and I was using TERM=pcvt25.  The pcvt25 termcap entry,
in common with many termcap entries, has 'kb=\177' (\177 is the same as
DEL or ^?). So screen was mapping DEL to BS.

The fix I adopted was to add

        keymap -d -k kb

to my .screenrc file.  This cancels the built-in mapping, and allows DEL
(^?) to get from my keyboard to the application without being molested by
"screen".

--apb (Alan Barrett)