Subject: Re: png problems
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Dave Millen <webmaster@largesalad.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/24/1998 09:18:38
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On 21 Nov 1998, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>
> > In article <36553DD4.C93B9C64@largesalad.co.uk>,
> >       Dave Millen <webmaster@largesalad.co.uk> writes:
> > > Eg. 'ImageMagick' will happily load gif's or jpg's but just closes down
> > > (with no error message either on the X display or on the console that
> > > started X) if I try to load a png.
> >
> > That works fine for me with these packages:
> >
> > png-1.0.2           Library for manipulating PNG images.
> > ImageMagick-4.1.3   a package for display and interactive manipulation of images
>
> I just rebuilt and reinstalled png-1.0.2, and now Mosaic can load the
> whole PNG Test Icons Suite
> <http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/pngsuite.html>, and more, without
> problems.

Mosaic seems to work OK with libpng for me, but I'm still having problems with Image
Magick.

I have done some investigation and the problem is caused by a call to
png_create_read_struct( ..... ) from load_png_image() in ......./magick/decode.c at
about line 9000.

png_create_read_struct() does not appear to be defined anywhere in the libpng-1.0.2
sources, although it is EXPORTed from png.h, which is presumably why the compile
doesn't barf.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

TIA,
Dave
--
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot!

e-mail: webmaster@largesalad.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk/DJMsoft/