Subject: Re: png problems
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Dave Millen <webmaster@largesalad.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/21/1998 14:30:29
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On 21 Nov 1998, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>
> > In article <36553DD4.C93B9C64@largesalad.co.uk>,
> >       Dave Millen <webmaster@largesalad.co.uk> writes:
> > > Eg. 'ImageMagick' will happily load gif's or jpg's but just closes down
> > > (with no error message either on the X display or on the console that
> > > started X) if I try to load a png.
> >
> > That works fine for me with these packages:
> >
> > png-1.0.2           Library for manipulating PNG images.
> > ImageMagick-4.1.3   a package for display and interactive manipulation of images
>
> I just rebuilt and reinstalled png-1.0.2, and now Mosaic can load the
> whole PNG Test Icons Suite
> <http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/pngsuite.html>, and more, without
> problems.

System is arm32 RiscPC running 19981001 -current snapshot and self built kernel from
the contemporary sources; 32MB Ram, 96MB Swap, Xarm33 X server. Recommended changes to
use earlier 'as' and to rebuild 'ld', 'make', 'pkg_*' have all been done and there
have been no problems compilng or running anything until this.

My pkgsrc tree is also up to date

I did rebuild and reinstall libpng-1.0.2 and then recompiled ImageMagick, but it did
no good.

I'll try Mosaic as you suggest and if that doesn't work, I'll try building libpng with
optimisation turned off. That sometimes causes problems on arm32 and IIRC, libpng
defaults to compiling -O2

regards,
Dave
--
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot!

e-mail: webmaster@largesalad.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk/DJMsoft/