Subject: Packages that use X, but not IMAKE, fail to find all libs
To: None <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/1998 20:02:14
The Mosaic package does not find any of the required X libraries in
the configure phase, nor does it build, without first setting
something like CFLAGS='-O -I/usr/pkg/includes -I/usr/X11R6/includes'
LDFLAGS='-L/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib' in the environment.

Likewise, rxvt fails to find Xpm, but in that case, there are no

Arguably, there are logical flaws in the configure scripts, but I have
no idea how to fix that. It is evident that Mosaic's configure finds
the X libs and headers, but then doesn't use them for the compiler
tests. Setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (before configure) is an easy

What's the right way to fix this? In the Makefile for just the
programs that need it, or some kind of test in