Subject: empty installed directories
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/1998 16:06:20
I am trying to package up some software that on installation creates
at least one empty directory.  I have a @dirrm empty/directory in
PLIST, which is fine except that the binary package never creates the
directory because there is no PLIST-listed file to go into it.  I
realize this is a bit unusual, but it is similar to the
src/sys/arch/*/compile directory in that this is normally empty until
someone makes a kernel.  In that case, there is a .keep_me file noting
the importance of having an otherwise empty directory.

I see several solutions:

- create a .keep_me file for insertion in the directory (i.e., follow
  the NetBSD kernel compile model) and list it in PLIST along with
  @dirrm.

- modify the installation procedure to never install the empty
  directory in the first place, i.e., no need for a file in PLIST or
  for @dirrm.

- include @exec mkdir ... and @dirrm in PLIST so the binary package
  will create and delete it just like the native installation.

Any suggestions on how to proceed here?  Which approach makes the most
sense?

Cheers,
Brook