Subject: empty installed directories
To: None <>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/1998 16:06:20
I am trying to package up some software that on installation creates
at least one empty directory.  I have a @dirrm empty/directory in
PLIST, which is fine except that the binary package never creates the
directory because there is no PLIST-listed file to go into it.  I
realize this is a bit unusual, but it is similar to the
src/sys/arch/*/compile directory in that this is normally empty until
someone makes a kernel.  In that case, there is a .keep_me file noting
the importance of having an otherwise empty directory.

I see several solutions:

- create a .keep_me file for insertion in the directory (i.e., follow
  the NetBSD kernel compile model) and list it in PLIST along with

- modify the installation procedure to never install the empty
  directory in the first place, i.e., no need for a file in PLIST or
  for @dirrm.

- include @exec mkdir ... and @dirrm in PLIST so the binary package
  will create and delete it just like the native installation.

Any suggestions on how to proceed here?  Which approach makes the most