Subject: Re: uid requirements
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/1998 22:11:09
On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Brook Milligan wrote:

> This would probably also entail some directive in PLIST so that
> installation of a package could also be dependent on the preexistence
> of the right uid/gid pair.

I'm of the opinion that in the binary packages we should simply
install to a reasonable appropriate ID that is already in the
password file. After all, these binary packages are supposed to
reduce the amount of hassle that generally not-terribly-experienced
users are going to have when installing stuff. The ingres ID and
group exists already; I expect most people aren't going to have
multiple database systems anyway, so just use that for whatever
database gets installed.

Those who need it running under a different ID can make the ID and
compile from pkgsrc with appropriate make variables set.

Curt Sampson  <>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: