Subject: Re: Whee
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/19/1998 16:07:40
> Could some kind soul explain to me why you'd want to use different
> paths for -R and -L, seeing as -R is the run-time path and -L is the
> link time path?  When would these two be different?  I've certainly
> never run into such an instance of reality.  I think I can see the
> theory, but not the practice.

I can...

If you want to link the binaries against libraries in the build tree,
then install the binaries and have them run against the installed
libraries (which may not be present at build time or which may be the
wrong libraries).

This can be useful in cases where you're doing cross-compilation
(particularly cross-os-version compilation), where you want some
assurance you *don't* link at compile time against the installed
libraries by accident..

					- Bill