Subject: Re: linux_libs pkg
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/1998 13:29:35
On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 01:20:50PM +0200, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:
> No flame-war intended. (I didn't even foresee one, assumning
> that Linux distributions woulndn't be too hot a topic on this list.)

Too late, we'll definitely get one.

> I remember something about Debian having a reasonable, BSD-like
> build-from-source system for their packages. That might be
> interesting for, say, building the compatibility libraries
> from source using the cross/*linux* packages.

Debian uses a non standard distribution format, they seem to favour featurism
over stability and they compile weird pathnames into their binaries.

> I have no experience whatsoever with SuSE. Please educate me.

tron@piggy:~>uptime
  1:25pm  up 147 days, 20:53h,  2 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.04, 0.01

--
Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/