Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/1998 10:58:53
On 1 Oct 1998, Robert V. Baron wrote:
> Is all this concern about space warranted?  I have the standard old
> sets and x loaded into about 200meg.  (This is for an x86 platform.)
> Most disks you buy these days are at least 2gig.  New pc's come with 6
> to 10 Gig standard.  So from this point of view I really don't need to
> know sizes of packages or meta packages or sets.  I really want the
> whole thing.  So my question is which users are we optimizing for.
> I also would like to think that all the "bits" will be available on
> CDs or local servers, so optimizing for bandwidth is not that big
> a deal either.

Heh, i386 is not everything NetBSD runs on.

> On the otherhand, I'm really interested in the new proposal because
> I want to be able to reinstall an old package that I've broken, or a
> newer version of the egcs package or do sane upgrades, ...

Well, decide - do you want pkg upgrading, or do you want this
pkgset/container stuff? Pkg upgrading is on our todo-list (after fixing
the whole pkgsrc tree do use wildcard depends properly).

> Also, anyone give thought to making the md5's a first class citizen of
> packages so I can ask pkg_info to verify the installed base against
> the official md5's in the package (ala FreeBSD mtree).

Hm, nice idea (i hear this for the first time...).

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>