Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/01/1998 18:25:20
>Again, I'm viewing this as what does our shiny new distribution look
>like.

Well, speaking for myself, the first and biggest step towards new- and
shininess, is that instead of coming as dozen or so sets of monolithic
tarballs, it comes as a dozen or so pkgsets which can also be added,
post-install, by the pkgtools.

If you want better compression, well, that's up to the maintainers of
our pkg tools.  No comment.

(I know australia was an illustrative example, but AARnet acually
used to do a fairly good job of pulling stuff into Australia,
archiving them locally, and educating people to pull them from the
local archive.)