Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/01/1998 14:53:59
In article <199810010707.AAA09557@Smeg.DSG.Stanford.EDU>,
Jonathan Stone  <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> given up on raw tarballs of pkgs. How else can we help come
> closer to a single shared file format for pkgs and pkgsets?

The single most useful thing that can be done at the moment is to stop
talking about it. Speaking on behalf of the pkg people, we've working on
a number of issues related to which tools we will use, install issues,
and a number of other things, and there are a number of issues that we
need to solve before we can begin work on changing the system install to
use packages. Having this discussion at this time is counterproductive.