Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/30/1998 07:08:50
Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de> writes:

>On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>> One of the _really_ important consensus items that we came to then is
>> that the install tools should, by default, DTRT for the naive user.
>> Sure, we can add bells and whistles for experienced users or those
>> setting up diskless/dataless machines, but that shouldn't be the default.

>Sad to say, that's not what pkgsrc does right now.
>There are several packages that intentionally leave things left over for
>users to do after the pkg_add, although these manual steps could be
>avoided easily. I'm talking of things like editing config files.

Oh, sure.  sysinst doesnt do much better here It does have a UI to do
necessary config'ing in /etc/ for network (FTP or NFS) installs, and
it _has_ to set up fstab, but thats about all.

I meant not bothering the naive users with frills for the install of
the pkgs, whatever they contain.

There's already serious talk of better tools for config'ing /etc;
maybe you pkg people could keep in touch with that, and piggy-back off
the same tools.