Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: None <jwise@unicast.com>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/29/1998 22:22:58
In article <Pine.GSO.4.01.9809291509450.3583-100000@alpine.unicast.com> you write:

>What follows is a quick proposal for how we can implement System
>Packages for NetBSD.  I am posting this now to generate
>discussion/debate/flames/suggestions which will hopefully lead to this
>being hammered into a more concrete plan.

This looks pretty good to me.  I've been giving some thoughts to this
issue recently, and most of what you've written echoes the considerations
I've come up with.

[...]
>1.2.1 Root/User/Share separation
[...]
>  The most common shared configurations are to have a system share
>  /usr/share from the network, and have all other filesystems local,
>  or to share the entirety of /usr from the network, and maintain
>  local root and /var hierarchies, possibly as a single filesystem.
>  Other commonly shared hierarchies include /usr/X11R6 and /usr/pkg.

This is definitely something which I am concerned about.  I made some
attempts to address this last week in tech-pkg.  Specifically, I went
through all of the current set files other than base and proposed steps
for cleaning out the few files outside of /usr.  Hopefully these will
provide a start.

>- --
>				Jim Wise
>				jwise@unicast.com

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL