Subject: Re: Package request - better cleaning
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/25/1998 06:32:02
    Date:        Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:04:20 +0200 (MET DST)
    From:        Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>

    No, as this wouldn't nuke off everything that's needed to be sure the
    package is "clean" for rebuild: .foo-done-cookies

Sure, I would assume that stuff would all be deleted as well.

    plus you'd need yet another target to really clean out all the stuff.

I'd actually expect that the new one would be the "yet another target",
something like objclean (or clean-obj or something).

    I don't see why this would buy anything.

Perhaps it doesn't.    I guess it depends on just how many people would
like to be able to keep unpacked sourecs around, without all the .o files
etc.  If there are very few in that category, then just getting inside
the work/xxx directory and doing "make clean" manually is likely to come
close to sufficient (though that wouldn't clean up the files in the work
directory).  I know a lot of people like to leave the .o files around, always,
to speed up daily rebuilds of the world.   I don't do those, and I suspect
many other people don't either.   I don't need unpacked sources for odds and
ends lying around a lot typically either - just sometimes it might be useful.

In any case, all of this is just ideas for evaluation by those of you who
would implement it.

kre