Subject: Re: Package request - better cleaning
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/25/1998 05:44:57
    Date:        Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:15:27 +0200 (MET DST)
    From:        Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>

    Actually, that was the standard behaviour until we turned off. :>

I haven't been using NetBSD all that long....

    (look for NOCLEANDEPENDS).

I just did, thanks for the pointer, but I'm not sure it is quite what I
intended - I don't think a "make clean" should race around doing "make clean"
in every required package - that would be totally counter-intuitive, and
I can certainly see why that would be disabled.   That's what the
clean-depends: target looks like it would do to me.

What I think would be better would be to clean exactly those packages that
were actually built because of making the one in which I did a "make clean",
leaving untouched any required packages that juat happened to have been
lying around (which existed already and hence were not touched).

That is, aside from the distfile(s), I'd like the sequence

	make install && make clean

in a package to leave the pkgsrc directory basically untouched, with nothing
deleted that was there before this started, and nothing added (other than
any distfiles that are fetched).

I don't think that is what now would happen (if the relevant default was
changed, or if someone actually did "make clean-depends")

    Actually, I do only a simple "make" quite often to get things build, and
    then play with it to see what's it all about, without the need to install
    things.

Oh, sorry, I obviously wasn't clear - that's a common failing of mine.  Sigh.

All I meant to say (and I probably shouldn't have bothered at all) was that
when I do the command line

	make && make install && make clean

I probably could save a process or two and just do

	make install && make clean

because (in general) "make install" implies make.   Obviously just "make"
on its own, without "make install" is useful - that's why I made the comment
about it being ideally nice if a bare "make" would install nothing, even if
some other package is required by this one - just build and use it in the
pkgsrc directory (and yes, I know that for many things that would be quite
hard, they have path names built in, and don't work if various bits aren't
installed where they are supposed to be).

kre

ps: On "make clean" - would a target which actually does a "make clean"
inside the untarred source directory (instead of rm -fr work) be useful?