Subject: Re: Notes and Thoughs on System Packages
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/23/1998 22:16:05
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> On the other hand, what's the process for bootstrapping a diskless
> client on such a critter anyway?

Untar. Make a minimal set of devices using whatever support the
remote system offers. (This may mean eyeballing /dev/MAKEDEV and
making a minimal set by hand.) Boot.

> ...but I don't think there's
> anything canned in a script right now, is there?

Not that I know of. On the other hand, a script can't set up
BOOTP/DHCP/TFTP/bootparams/nfs on any arbitrary machine, so it
wouldn't be much use.

> I'm not trying to say that pkg_* tools should refuse to work on a
> diskless client machine, only that there need be no special magic goo to
> make them work as if they were running on the server.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.