Subject: Re: Fix: DEPENDS-wildcards in pkg_*
To: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/22/1998 00:18:40
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> I see that you punted on the "how to do a pkg_add <binary-pkg> where
> <binary-pkg> has a pre-requisite pkg not on the localhost" question :-)
>
> i.e.  I'm trying to do a pkg_add
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.3.2/All/mozilla-1998foo.tgz,
>
> and pkg_add needs to download lesstif>=0.85.3 from ftp.netbsd.org.
> Perhaps we can store the version number from the pkgsrc pre-req in
> +CONTENTS (i.e.  braindead current behaviour) as a backup here.  This
> would be used as the binary pkg version to download, rather than just
> putting the onus on the user here.

Hum, we can see into this if it gets annoying. I'd love to see a
opendir()/readdir() equivalent for FTP, maybe FreeBSD's libftp can serve
here.

> The upgrade function is great news, too.

Um, we're ont there yet. :)

> I'd really like to wrap up the mini-freeze ASAP, and, when we've done
> the tagging, which took about 30 minutes the last time, we should be
> able to commit things again.  Really I'd like to do this today (Monday
> 21st).  So I don't think a branch is warranted - just use the trunk.
>
> I'll let you commit your pkg_* mods first - I have some cosmetic ones
> which I want to commit, too - but they are far reaching, despite being
> just cosmetic.

OK, i've put my local tree in sync with the last-minute changes to
bsd.pkg.mk and am ready to commit things here now. Let me know if the
tree' tagged (you want to tag whole pkgsrc as well as
src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/* !), then I can commit this ASAP.

> Thanks for doing this, Hubert - this is really neat.

Well, it was needed. Without this, pattern-matching wasn't worth much
(anything...), sorry to say. But that's history now. :)
It was fun burning a whole weekend in front of the computer, hacking, with
noone disturbing. I'll have to redo this soon for upgrading pkgs 8-)

Stay tuned,

	Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>