Subject: Re: USE_MOTIF lossage
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/1998 19:47:28
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: in case noone really realized, USE_MOTIF is utterly broken:
:
: .if defined(USE_MOTIF)
: .if exists(${X11BASE}/include/Xm/Xm.h)
: RUN_DEPENDS+=           ${X11BASE}/include/Xm/Xm.h:../../x11/lesstif
: .else
: RUN_DEPENDS+=           ${PREFIX}/include/Xm/Xm.h:../../x11/lesstif
: BUILD_DEPENDS+=         ${PREFIX}/include/Xm/Xm.h:../../x11/lesstif
: .endif
: .endif
:
: 1. Shouldn't this be X11BASE twice in RUN_DEPENDS?

No.  This should be ${PREFIX} in the latter case so that:

- if Lesstif or Motif is installed by hand in ${X11BASE}, it will be found
  even if xpkgwedge (USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11) is in use (first part of the
  above).  No BUILD_DEPENDS needed because it's already verified.

- if the "real" Motif is not installed, and xpkgwedge
  (USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11) is in use, Lesstif will be built in ${LOCALBASE}
  to provide the dependency (second part of the above).

: 2. what if someone has real Motif installed - RUN_DEPENDS will still cause
:    /var/db/pkg/lesstiff-godknowswhatversionisinpkgsrcrightnow/+REQUIRED_BY
:    to be updated (or at least attempted...). This will fail for both
:    installing from source (bsd.pkg.mk) as well as binary pkgs (pkg_add).

This needs to be fixed in the pkg tools to find out just what pkg--if
_any_--owns a file as part of a BUILD/RUN_DEPENDS.

: 3. If I have an older lesstif installed (I have 0.81), this will still go
:    and happily try to register the one from pkgsrc-current (0.83 or so),
:    which will if course fail as if I had Motif installed (see above).

See answer to #2.

: For a start, I'd suggest we drop any support for "real" motif in pkgsrc,
: and add support for what we can and have: lesstif (like we do with about
: all other non-pkgsrc software, too).

IIRC, this was debated and came to a conclusion that there are "enough"
people using real Motif to let them use it.