Subject: Re: /var/db/pkg [was Re: AFS/arla]
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/1998 12:52:51

    Manuel> On Sep 18, Jason Thorpe wrote
    >> What about stuff installed in / (like, say, the netbsd14_base pkg?).
    >>

    Manuel> Same problem: / may be a different partition from /var.  One
    Manuel> should not have to backup /var to be able to restore a fully
    Manuel> functionnal system. /var should only contain log or run-time
    Manuel> files, that is, files that can be lost without much harm in most
    Manuel> cases.

  I would agree. This is my major problem with current pkg-system. It
should use /etc/pkg or something. Perhaps the rules should look like:

  if -d $PKG_BASE/etc/pkg
  then
	PKG_DB=$PKG_BASE/etc/pkg
  else
	PKG_DB=/etc/pkg
  fi

  This solves the problem with the netbsd14_base pkg, and also puts
everything where you expect it (/etc/pkg) unless you go and create a
seperate pkg tree.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.